Bluetooth Stretch (Breath) Sensor

For quite a long while I have been working on making the stretch sensor wireless. During my residency period in New York I was able to complete this task.

Some of the issues throughout this project were around what technology to use. I started with a Flora and then switched over to Lilypad because there are more supported options for being wireless (however when I briefly met Becky Stern she said bluetooth support for the Flora would be out this year as Adafruit was able to get radio permissions or something like that had been holding them back). Then I tried Xbee but through hours of attempts could never get them to pair properly. This is probably because of trying to set them up on a single Mac, rather than two PCs which seems to be the way forward. Then I fried a bluetooth module. Then I had real problems finding a battery that would power the Lilypad and bluetooth module  (AAA worked in the end). And then it worked. Like really well and really consistently! And here it is in all its glory!

IMG_3206 IMG_3207 IMG_3208 IMG_3209

The idea is that the sensor is worn around the ribs so it stretches when you breath. This actually works quite well as a way to stretch the sensor but is not an accurate way to measure breath.

Advertisements